So I managed to dig deep for some ambition and found a little. I coaxed The Kid into helping and we spent the better part of the morning photographing finished projects. So now I just have to get them written now.
Today’s reveal is actually two pieces. Once again, I have reverted back to my other signature painting style in five or six shades of pink. It seems to be a style that sells easily and quickly and has a timeless sort of appeal. What little girl wouldn’t love to be surrounded in a sea of pink?
It started with the acquisition of an old headboard and foot board. I originally planned to turn it into one of those benches that are so popular, but once I started looking it over, I realized what solid pieces these were and how beautiful they could become. I hunted for sideboards and found a pair, but wasn’t until they were primed did I realize that they had the wrong connecting hardware. Back to the hunt. I actually had to place a “wanted” ad for the pieces specifically asking for the right hardware. Who knew that there were more than one design?
I finally did find the pieces I needed – along with another headboard and foot board. I almost didn’t want to have to deconstruct the side boards, but they were in pretty rough shape. I am planning to use the head and foot boards to make that originally planned bench seat.
In the meantime, the hardware was attached to new 1 x 6’s and a piece added to act as a lip to hold either a box spring or slats for the mattress. Then everything was primed… you can see a couple of other projects in the following photo as well:
Following the primer, the base sections of the headboard was painted in the standard base color… the pink in its lightest hue. Then it was on to painstakingly hand painting each post a different shade of pink.
The fifth and darkest shade was reserved for the side boards. I had specifically purchased appliqués to use on the both the headboard and foot board, the wide expanse of plain color seemed a bit too plain for me. The appliqués when arrived were a bit smaller than anticipated, apparently I was thinking inches but they were actually centimeters, but I opted to use them anyway. I like the way they turned out to be ‘dainty’ in the end.
The matching dresser was a great accidental find and apparently I was so excited that I forgot to take any pictures of it before working on it. It was found in an abandoned farm house and had a rather extended family of mice living in the drawers. It had some water damage to the drawers as well and it took a lot of sanding, gluing and strengthening to bring this piece back to its original glory. Originally, the dresser had wood wheels, but water, weather and time had degraded them past saving, so they were simply removed. I love the idea of how tall this piece initially stood.
I sanded every surface, including the drawer sides and bottoms and it was almost like building from scratch considering the amount of glue that was used to put it back together. A lot of love and sweat went into restoring this piece. I think that is why I opted to use the pink ombré paint on the dresser. Its such a classic look that I knew it was the right decision.
The great design of the bed frame is that it is adjustable for both a full and a queen sized mattress without any work, other than moving the side boards to the separate set of slots.A shot of the foot board appliqué. The lighter two colors of pink were used on the posts on the foot board and the two lighter on the headboard posts. The sideboards have the darkest color.
I sometimes wished that I had a daughter that I could have spoiled with this type of bedroom furnishings. Perhaps she would have been more like me growing up and be a tomboy and hated everything pink (like me!). I love being able to provide this to some other lucky little girl. I can see this being a very nice Christmas present!
Here it is stored and waiting delivery!
I used hardware that I had salvaged from a previous piece and painted light pink. The top drawer received two glass knobs that had just the slightest pink hue to them. Perfect jewelry to this wonderful piece.
I did want to point out one unique feature that I was unable to completely erase while restoring this piece. I like to think of it as the signature of the former occupants and sort of a fairy tale component of the magic in these pieces. You see there are little nibble marks across the bottom of the top drawer face…