Once again, the temperatures in this part of the country have dipped below freezing. On Saturday, we enjoyed temps in the high 60’s, nice enough to work out in the garage with the door open! But as it is popular to say in this region, if you don’t like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change! Well, I guess that works in reverse as well, so when the weather is good, you really have to take advantage of it.
I completed work on another beautiful dresser and there is quite a story behind this one. I was contacted via Craigslist by a guy who had been left high and dry by his girlfriend (and her five children) and left nearly everything behind in their shared rented house. But not before nearly destroying the house. Anyway, he was looking to try to recoup some of the money he was going to lose in deposits and damages and wanted to sell off whatever furniture had been left behind. So me and the Kid trooped off to take a look.
Most of it wasn’t of very good quality, but there were some salvageable pieces. The only problem was that he had caught me in a tight spot with money, I didn’t have much cash on me and wouldn’t have any until I made a sale. I told him I could come back in a couple of days, he even offered to trust me to take some pieces and come back with cash. There are some good guys still left in the world.
We had shown up with my little truck though, and to get everything that I was considering, we’d not only need the pickup, but maybe a big truck. I told him that I had a ten spot in my pocket he offered the big dresser from one of the bedrooms. I had a photo from our correspondence, but once again, I didn’t keep it or take a ‘before’ picture before jumping into its restoration. Just trust me that this piece had gone through some abuse before I was able to rescue it. (He had arranged for someone else to take the rest of it, when me and the Kid returned a few days later.)
I was really happy how I was able to replace missing trim that I saved from the other dresser that I rescued (you can see it here) which although not exactly the same, was the same style. I had removed the trim from around one drawer as it had disappeared from the top and one side of the top drawer, and it proved to be very helpful in restoring the trim on the top drawer. The finish had just been beat and scratched and dented and it took no less than 6 coats of primer to cover the marker or paint that had been used to draw on the top of it. I actually used the same antique white paint that I did on the other dresser and it, again, didn’t fail to impress.
So, without further ado:
Didn’t it turn out gorgeous? I swear, most of these I really want to just keep! I would totally do this for my own room, if and when I get ready to redecorate.
Worked a little more on the special project dresser, fully primed:
…chalked in the outline for the flower:
…and the took out the top drawer and taped off to paint the top of the dresser. Using the ‘Begonia’ pink paint for the top and I think that the base cabinet is going to be the ‘Watery’ blue and flower shape in white. (See the color scheme here.) I will provide more detail as I get closer to reveal about the work with the flower and getting the shape onto the dresser.
I also primed and started work on two more dressers – one to be in yellow ombré and the other in a soft pink with a darker shade of pink on top. Seems I can’t keep any inventory these days and but trust me, I am not complaining!
The Kid had the day off for MLK Day, so last night and this morning we spent working on the doll furniture that we started a few nights ago. We’ve completed one bed and dresser – sized for 18″ dolls – and all I have to do is to make bedding (mattress, sheets, quilt and a pillow or two.
And here is a shot of the bed I am working on:
We actually hauled out the big tools – a band saw and a belt sander – and it was well worth the effort. I enjoy having good tools to work with. I just wished I had a real workshop to work in, so I wouldn’t have to always be putting things away and then having to drag them out each time I want to work.
Okay, need to spend some time in my sewing/craft room working to complete the linens for the completed bed. We’re going to be doing some investigation as to the best way to market these pieces; we’re considering Craigslist, eBay and Etsy. Actually, I might also list on dollabee.com (billed as “Like Craigslist, but for dolls”). Hopefully this will be a successful venture in addition to the furniture. All I know is that I am keeping busy, busy, busy!
Thanks for dropping by and taking a look! Happy Crafting Y’All!