Miniatures, Doll House and Dreams

So having gotten most of the projects that I had started (over the past year) completed, I am going to take advantage of avoiding the cold and work inside. On my dollhouse. With the help of my son and his best friend (my other son from another mother), the dollhouse has been safely moved and placed into its working spot. I expect that I will work on this a long time: until I either get finished or I get sick of working on it. I am finding working with 1:12 miniatures is a lot more tedious and time consuming than the 1:3/1:4 miniatures for the 18″ dolls (American Girl-style dolls).

It seems to take a lot more time and energy to do the smaller scale. Not to mention it seems to cost more! What I have been working on so far is getting a rough idea of how I want to proceed with each room. Originally I thought I would approach it on a room by room basis, but found that as I worked through the furniture and decorating needs, it seems to make more sense to more than one at a time. I mean, like when I pick up the flooring needs for one room, it just makes sense to get what I need for all the rooms that have similar needs.

I have numbered the rooms so that when I write about the rooms, I can also refer to the room number in addition to what I am calling the room.

 

dollhouse-numbered-roomsSo the rooms are designated to be:

  1. Attic Sewing Room
  2. Home Office
  3. Second Bathroom & Laundry
  4. Attic Storage
  5. Master Bedroom
  6. Master Bath
  7. Hallway
  8. Boy’s Bedroom
  9. Baby Girl’s Nursery
  10. Living Room and Entryway
  11. Dining Room
  12. Kitchen

So, yes, this is a large dollhouse and now takes up a large chunk of living room real estate:

dscn4885But is always in view to keep my creative juices flowing. I’ve begun planning floors and colors and the necessary cabinetry for the kitchen as well as stove, refrigeration and cabinet with sink and a microwave. Rough estimates are in the two hundred dollar range! And the kitchen is one of the rooms that requires copious amounts of extras… including a diner style booth and table and food and dishes. I bought a set of flatware tonight for a whopping $1.67! But, WOW!, it all adds up.

I have a couple of furniture pieces that have to be finished and written about still. I just couldn’t resist giving y’all a sneak peak at the project that is going to be consuming much of my time in the next year!

julie

A Picture’s Worth a Thousand Buttons

Well, maybe not actually a thousand, but quite a few. ūüôā

I was flipping through the pages of HomeTalk and Pinterest just catching up on what else is going on out there in the creative world. I ran across one post of three framed initials spelling JOY with buttons. And of course I wanted to link up with my  rendition of the same project. And after spending quite a bit of time flipping and searching through my blog, I realized that I never wrote about it.

So, here it is, about ten years late:

2014-12-21 20.55.57

My room was very nicely decorated when we first moved here Рin California my bedroom was a hodge podge  of denim and white and mismatched furniture. I wanted to have a truly put together room and it helped that with this move, I had the funds to decorate.

I had purchased my very first matching bedroom set Рsleigh bed and nightstands, a tall, 6 drawer dresser and entertainment center/armoire that was stylish and at the same time, impressive. I felt that a large room, one that size, needed to have appropriately large furniture. Not to fill the room, but to embrace it.

That said, there wasn’t a lot of wall space for art, so I knew what I did hang would have to punctuate the space and reflect me. I have two pieces, a large hand sculpted mirror in a heavy metal, much like a starburst. But the important piece was my initial: J.

The red fabric matches the accent material in the room, and the frame was picked up at a deep discount at Hobby Lobby. It apparently had been dropped in the store and so it was deeply discounted – since it had come apart after the glass was broken. It was a matter of just gluing and clamping to make it perfect, since I didn’t need the glass.

I found the letter in the font I liked and printed it out. It might be a little hard to judge the size of this pieces, but the height of the J, top to bottom, is 30 inches. It took a while to get the letter to the size I needed, ended up having to print it out on four sheets of paper and taping it together.

Then I carefully cut away the letter and then laid it onto the fabric using some tape to hold it in place. I started with the larger buttons and then worked progressively smaller until I was down to placing the tiny little buttons at the bottom curve of the J. Just good ol’ Elmer’s glue.

Then I squeezed the fabric into the frame and hung it. After ten years of hanging there, it still looks good.

julie

%d bloggers like this: