Dollhouse Reveal: The Dining Room (#11)

Another of my favorite rooms. I personally could not have a room with so much black, but I really love the way it turned out.

DSCN4943The inspiration for this room was the fabric that become the large octagonal rug in the center of the room.DSCN4944Right after that, I ran across the black and cream dining room chairs, and I knew the color direction that was going to dominate this room. I ended up having to buy two sets and one of the tables went into the sewing room as the cutting table. I used the other in the middle with a large round. Lots of seating for family and friends!DSCN4945Would you believe that chandelier is actually a car air freshener?  I had to actually shorten it, as when I initially placed it, it almost touched the floor.DSCN4946The table cloth fabric was another ‘stumbled upon’ fabric. I had initially just planned to use a crisp white table cloth, but when I saw this fabric I knew I had to use it. (Chocolate cake ready for desert for guests!)DSCN4947The china cabinets are something I picked up a long time ago seriously cheap and I ended buying about a half dozen of them. They all varied ever so slightly from one another, but the two I used were very similar. Painted black and filled with various china pieces and silver and copper work, they make a nice compliment.DSCN4948I tried using a different wall treatment in this room. For the most part, it turned out okay. The wainscotting is really siding for the outside of the house, but I like it used this way. I also used this gorgeous scrapbooking paper for the upper portion of the wall, rather than paint.DSCN4949The floor was the originally purchased real-wood floor that had been added to the collection somewhere along the line. I could actually cut it with scissors it was so thin, but took a nice oak stain.

The window treatments are the houndstooth black and creme fabric with off-white sheers. This is another set of curtains that don’t quite hang right and there is a part of me that wants to replace. If I used the same fabric as the table cloth, would it be too much? The valance has fabric that was leftover from the rug and I was able to snip out a section that doesn’t give it away too much.

So, that concludes the tour of the dining room. Come back for more room reveals.

julie

Want to see all of the rooms? Use these helpful links:

From a Desk Into A Tower of Drawers

Some time back I came up with a solution to the thousands of skeins of embroidery thread that I bought and collected over the years (and in anticipation of a very large cross stitch project) by using those boxes designed for storing photographs.

While this did work for a while, I found that it wasn’t pleasing to the eye and if you needed a color that was at or near the bottom, it became a bit of a pain to have to move all of the boxes to get to the one that you needed. I started looking around for something different.

DSCN2492

During one of my routine trips to thrift stores, I found a very cute and very well made children’s desk. Of course I hadn’t taken a photo before The Kid started taking it apart, but this will give you kind of an idea of what it looked like before we started. The drawers were removed and set aside for painting.

DSCN2493
Removing four screws and the top came right off. Then the supports between the two base sections also came right off, when you find well made furniture it doesn’t have an over abundance of glue or nails used. I suspect this is late 1930’s or maybe early 1940’s.

One half was flipper over and we removed the “feet” section. Again, four screws.

DSCN2498

Then one piece was set on top of the other. We simply used the same holes used to originally assemble it to attach one piece to the other. Bonus!

DSCN2501

There were some holes and a little bit of damage where the back support had been attached, so a little wood putty and some sanding and it was ready for priming.

DSCN2503

I knew I was going to paint it my signature red, so the primer was tinted almost the same color. Less coats of paint to get a rich red.

Drawers Primed

Drawers were also prepped for painting the same way:

DSCN2523

 

We built the cabinet top from paint stir sticks. You can see the whole process here. We just laid the top down and flipped the cabinet upside down and attached it, again, using the existing screw holes. Here you can see my “assistant” helping!

DSCN2548

And more paint. We also had to fill in the gaps of where the two cabinets came together, that was a little trickier.

DSCN2547

After several coats of paint (yes, that it what is required when you’ve chosen such a deep red color) and new drawer pulls and viola! Here is the cabinet in the front entry.

Red Thread CabinetShortly after, it was moved to next to one of two re-purposed china cabinets in my living room. And all of the embroidery thread was then transferred from the boxes to the cabinet.

Since I’ve been working so much, I haven’t had a chance to finish up any projects… so am using the time to get caught up in writing about previous projects. The blog (actually “blogS” as I have another) seem to be a third almost full time job as well. But I love it all!

julie

 

 

%d bloggers like this: