Hi. I’ve been away for a while, been dealing with some health issues. Seems that after all I’ve managed to put my body through, I’ve finally worn out my knees. So, in two and a half months, I will be going into surgery and have both knees replaced within a seven day period. I am thinking that with luck and hard work, I can be through the physical therapy in three or four months and be back to some semblance of my old self in six months to a year. I am anxious to have the surgery and terrified at the same time. But that is a discussion for my other blog. 🙂
Although I have not been writing posts, that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been doing creative style work. The journey and the work has been slow going as I’ve been pulled away attending to medical matters and it has been getting more and more difficult to do the physical portion of a lot of the work that I do. But I have quite a few projects that I have been able to finish (or are near to finishing) and I want to get them written. I have made a promise to myself to try and finish as many projects that I’ve already started before my surgery as well. Wish me luck!
As a consummate crafter, I am always stumbling onto materials that might be good for something someday. Every so often I review my piles and make a concerted effort to use up or donate as much as I can before collecting more. Such as the case with this project. When I picked up a dresser back a while, I noticed another one in the corner of a garage literally falling to pieces. It wasn’t salvageable but it had the greatest drawer fronts. And intricate design carved into the three remaining drawer fronts caught my eye and the offer to dispose of the piece made it mine.
Recently, The Kid was away for a few days and of course, being a mom, I sneaked into his room to pick up dirty clothes and dishes. Wow, is this kid messy! I realized that some order and organization was needed. Everything seems to end up on the floor! Quite a bit of his stuff seems to end up on the stairs too and with the condition of my knees, I need to have them clear.
One of the things I noticed that he seems to acquire a lot of is hats! And when I started to think of ways to store them in a useful and decorative way, the drawer fronts came to mind. I pulled them out and gave them all several coats of his room’s signature black paint – Deep Space from Behr. I’ve taken to using high gloss finish and it just looks so bold and sharp.
Then, using paint pens, I traced the lines. Since originally this was intended to be in The Kid’s room and his (sort of) recent room update utilizes the black paint with a red accent, that is the same direction I took this. Then it was just a matter of adding hooks at the bottom from which the hats would hang.
Once I finished and showed The Kid, his reaction was to let me know that while he liked it, it wasn’t really the style of his room. His room is more industrial, with a lot of pipe and leather (if you’d like to check out the reveal of his makeover, you can see it here). This turned out to be a bit more traditional with the specific style of engraving. So, while I agreed it didn’t match his style, he still needed it to be a bit more organized, so we agreed to place it in the hall at the top of the stairway. That way, he could grab the hat of choice on his way down the stairs and hang the hat back up when coming back.
Stayed tuned for more completed projects!