Wow! And a grateful sigh.
After a final push yesterday, The Kid and I finally finished the five projects that we have been working on. I wrote up the sale ads before I sat down and did the “before” and “after” photos… it took a while to find all of the original pictures of the pieces before we started working on them.
So here they are in all their glory (and unfinished states).
I stumbled onto a new site in which to procure furniture. We have a local company in town that does online auctions for business and people who need to liquidate businesses and estates. They have a pretty good website and at this point, not too many people know about it, so you can still get reasonable prices on certain objects. I find that most people going to the site are looking more for business items, so the furniture and decorative items tend to not have a lot of bidders. And to protect that source for as long as I can, I am not going to tell you their name. :-O
The first three items were purchased from this company. There were two matching dressers, one three drawer and one with five drawers. One drawer on each of the dressers had those faux decorative panels on one drawer on each of the dressers. Thankfully, they weren’t glued on and were easily removed.
All the dressers then were sanded and primed. I love the use of a primer and since I knew I was going to do a lot of pink, I had the primer tinted pink to make the job of painting that much easier.The three drawer dresser had some serious chunks missing from the top, so I opted to replace it. The great thing is that being a well built (not to mention all wood), the top was easily removed with the removal of just four screws. Then we just used it as a template for the replacement top.
Another of the antique dressers needed a new top as well. We bought it from a woman who had owned it for many years and had plants sitting on top of it. At one point the water damage to the original top was beyond repair and she had someone replace it. Only it was replaced with laminate fiberboard. UG-A-LY!
The resulting top for this dresser was cut out, sanded and routed into the exact shape needed. It got one coat of oak stain and three coats of a clear polyurethane with a matte finish (with light sandings in between each coat).
We purchase 2 6′ lengths of a nice oak, 1″ x 12″ and glued them together. We used a special tool to put wood dowels in the pieces to give them strength, we’ve done this multiple times including here. I think we spent like ten dollars on this tool, but it has paid itself back many times over now.
I stumbled across the blue in a advertisement for deck repair (would you paint your deck this color?) but immediately fell in love with it. The photo above looks a bit more purplish than it actually is, the color is called Blue Mosaic. The brass color cup handles were in my inventory of hardware and just went on so easily and they just are perfect.
On occasion there are pieces that I love so much how they turned out that I want to keep. I spent a couple of days trying to figure out if I could change the color scheme of my master bedroom plan so that I could use this piece. Alas, it is not meant to be. I love this piece.
A third dresser bought at auction is this older, albeit less expensive piece. It is still all wood and I imagine that the child who gets this piece could conceivably be outlived by this piece. I try to always only work with all wood pieces, no sense in putting a lot of time and effort into restoring or making over a piece that will just fall apart.
You can tell that it is less expensive when it was first sold, as the drawer handles were actually carved out of the drawers, rather than added later. I thought about filling in the handles, but then thought it would be perfect for small hands and there wouldn’t be the chance that the drawer pulls would come off. We painted the top section of the front the first drawer color to make it appear like there was a drawer there. I thought about adding handles, but I think it would throw the look of the whole dresser off.
The last dresser was given to me by a wonderful guy who contacted me through Craigslist. We never got to meet, but exchanged several emails over a week. In the end, The Kid and I picked it up from his driveway, where he left it for us, since he had to leave unexpectedly. I regret not being able to meet and thank him properly, but hopefully he is watching the blog and will see this: Hi, Eric! And thank you!
When I was able to get a really good look at this dresser, I realized that someone had spent some time trying to remove past layer(s) of paint. They had done an admirable job thus far, and I looked it over and considered just how much time and effort would still be left to restore it. There is a fair amount of ornamentation on this piece which equated to a lot of hand work and in the end, just opted to paint it with the same pink ombré scheme that I have come to love so much.
And in the end, I opted to use white ceramic knobs on all of the pieces. I love those knobs… they are simple yet elegant and not cheap. And easy for small hands to clasp.
We moved all of the dressers into the foyer and let me tell you, two days of this and I am ready for them to be sold so I have my entry way back!
This has made a huge dent in the third garage still. Today’s plan is to move what is left to the other side of the garage and prepare the space for storing my sports car for the winter. The car cover came on Friday, which was the last thing I need to properly store my baby. Once it turns cold and wet (or snowy) my car no longer is practical for driving.
The first thing I plan on doing, however, is to go and take “before” photos of all of the projects left. I think I have finally learned my lesson, since scrounging all emails and websites hoping to get the ‘befores’ for these posts were a real pain and took a few days.
Hope you’re all staying warm and comfy this weekend.