One of the things I forgot to add to the first post of the dollhouse reveal was some of the original photographs.
I had asked my Dad for a dollhouse ever since I can remember. I was the seventh child and of the six before me, four were boys (and two more following). Lots of little boys in this house. It was kind of unusual for my Dad to have to do ‘girl’s toys’ but I kept asking. Finally, about the time I got married, my Dad finally got the time and energy to build a dollhouse. It took him quite a few years and I had moved away from my parents (in Iowa) all the way to California. When Dad finished the dollhouse, I guess he couldn’t figure a safe and affordable way to get the house to me, so instead, he gave it to my oldest sister (she is 11 years older than me) and who lived in the same town.
Well, fast forward about ten, maybe fifteen years and the dollhouse sat almost untouched – some of her children and grandchildren messed with it and broke a few things – and to my sister’s credit, she did buy a lot of stuff for the house. But then came the time my sister and her family decided to move to Colorado and no longer had a place for the house. Time for it come to me! Believe it or not, my folks drove the house out to me in their van!!
Let me show you some of the early pictures:
Isn’t it grand? A few things that happened during this transition was the base of the of the house was lost along with the railings and stairs on the porch.
Another issue that I felt needed to be changed was the fact that the kitchen had its own staircase to a secluded room above it – which just happened to be the “servants quarters”. Now I know this is supposed to be one of those broad sweeping houses from the old south, but this layout didn’t settle well with me. And as with anyone who buys a house, they want to make it their own – well, I wanted to make some changes to make this house my own as well.
So, out went the kitchen stairs – and an old fashioned kitchen – replaced with a gleaming and sophisticated red and white kitchen (reveal later). I opened the wall between the kitchen and the dining room and placed double doors for easier access. Next, a hallway was opened up so that the former servants quarters could be accessed and it became a nursery.
I also had to open the attic floor to allow a staircase up, added a wall to create another space and doors between the rooms to allow passage from one to another. Since I was having to invest in doors for the new rooms, I opted to replace all the doors for a more cohesive look. This also went for the addition of the stairs and I had previously purchased a gentle curved staircase, so out went the originals including handrails. All of these additions and changes not only created extra cost, most of the time it also created more work in widening and heightened to accommodate the new doors. This was really tricky with the sloped ceilings in the attic.
Then both the exterior and interiors were painted white. Lots and lots of cans of white spray paint. Remind me to tell you the lesson I learned about using spray paint in the same space as your red sports car. 😦
The house was turned upside down and I used this “ceiling texture repair” to give all of the ceilings a nice finish. Now it was finally ready for decorating to begin:
The house was moved up to the living room for easier access (no running up and down the stairs to the basement) and eventually all the supplies and tools were relocated to this area. I am so lucky that I live with people who are accommodating!