Another Dresser Experiment: Pattern Tissue

Wow, I did it again! I have been so busy at work and all that it entails as well as trying to finish up some projects. Then, too, The Kid and I got hooked on watching “Games of Thrones” – I know, I know, way behind the rest of the world! It has seriously eaten into my online time!

But with The Kid’s help, have finished another dresser. I actually am able to work on some of these projects while watching streaming television, I’d have a little more room to work if I gave up and admitted – at least temporarily – quilting defeat! The rescued quilt from that falling down barn is going to have to wait. For now.

I picked up this little dresser at one of my two online auction sites. I love when people overlook these pieces because they seem so flimsy, but in reality, they are quality pieces. I got this one for five dollars, just because no one could see past the missing back, broken rungs and the massive spider egg and web colony being built in it!

A quick cleanup and help from The Kid to fix the rungs and put a solid back on it and it was ready for my magic. After making the Monopoly Dresser, I wanted to try my hand at another cover: sewing pattern tissue paper. I recently inherited some pretty old patterns – circa 1940’s/1950’s in which I placed a couple of the pattern covers in frames to hang in my sewing room.

As most of the patterns were used and cut, so I didn’t see any way to actually use them to make the clothing, so I thought of decorating a little drawer unit to store things in my craft room.

I used thinned Elmer’s white glue and a 1″ paint brush to layer the tissue. I simply kept an eye for more interesting elements in the patterns and layered until I was happy with the look. I like how there are some areas that are a little lighter than others and the old style patterns had heavy cut lines that showed nicely.

I created the handles after a lot of thought as to what to use for knobs. I thought about buttons (very BIG buttons) or other things common to sewing. I had painted some big round wood knobs black, but the paint job wasn’t as smooth as I would have liked, so I scrapped them and went back to the drawer board.

Then inspiration struck! I had The Kid pick up some wooden spools and cut them in half. He ended up with a groove running down the middle, so he cut thin wood to place on the back. Then he added some half inch thick cuts from a 3/4″ dowel, glued it all together and let it dry. Came back to do a little sanding and then a couple of coats of semi-gloss black spray paint and a little more time for the paint to dry.

Aren’t they too cute?!

DSCN4694

So, I’ll keep this short from here and just show you the photos!

DSCN4692

Whaddya think?

julie

About MacCupcake

Obviously, a big Mac fan (my first Mac was the first Mac) and mother to the most awesome kid in the world. A techno-junkie and self-proclaimed geek... I love anything and everything relating to computers. Also love making things and figuring out how to make or adapt existing stuff into something new! Always ready to try something new!

4 responses to “Another Dresser Experiment: Pattern Tissue

  1. STH

    That looks great! I love it!

  2. Juanita Moore

    Cool! Might be fun with road maps. Keep up the good work!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: