Well, no, not really a creative update… but rather just let everyone know how things have been going. Two weeks ago, I had the first of bilateral total knee joint replacement surgeries. The plan then was to wait for a week and then have the second surgery. Unfortunately, that turned out to be a little too aggressive for me so we bumped it back one week. Which is tomorrow! Yikes!
But I really feel in a good place, pain levels haven’t topped four for the past week and usually it is just a little stiff from lack of use. The thing that bothers me most, though, is that I feel so prohibited from doing the things I want and love to do. I’ve been joking with The Kid by saying “… I feel like someone just chopped off me off at the knee…” ha, ha, ha… but it really does feel like that kind of limitation. I’m making light of the restrictions, but for me, it is like typing an arm behind my back. And now I am looking at starting it all over again, this time with the right knee! I only hope that having learned from the left, I can make it go a little more in stride for the right.
I had been working on getting the hand quilting rack set up so that I can enjoy some of my downtime on putting some real time and effort into hand quilting that old quilt top that I rescued during one of me and The Kid’s “adventures”, but am finding out the hard way that it isn’t really as easy as you might think.
I thought I’d start with just pin basting the quilt and then working on the hand quilting from the center of the quilt top out. But laying the backing, the batting and the quilt top out on the kitchen island and then starting to pin, it isn’t as simple as one might think.
First, it takes a small pyramid of safety pins to do this. I had maybe a hundred – who wouldn’t think that would be enough for a small quilt top, right? Well, wne through them very quickly. I purchased another 6 hundred and really pushed to get the half triangles all basted and a row around the border.
But when I went to transfer the quilt onto the basting frame, I realized that I no longer had the quilt top centered on the backing. I thought about it and tried to find solutions without having to unpin every single one of those safety pins and had almost convinced myself to just modify the border when it got to that point… unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I had managed to pin baste a couple of very large wrinkles into the backing material.
There is just no way around it, I am going to have to start all over with this effort.
But of course, since in the morning I will be once again looking at another few weeks before I can put any real effort into undoing and then starting again. If I had really been thinking, I would have had this ready prior to the first surgery. And all in all tonight, I am getting really tired and need to get things lined up for tomorrow.
Wish me luck!