So plans are moving forward. As many of you know, I am looking at dual knee replacement surgeries in about six weeks. For that reason, I am attempting to complete all the projects that I have planned or in progress and – hopefully – get them sold before I have those surgeries. I have to get my house and garage clear, so I am not tripping or falling over anything while I do my physical therapy. I also need to get my hot little sports car into the garage before snowfall – I am working diligently on keeping the mileage down and its value up.
Have I shown you my little fun car?
It’s a rear wheel drive car with very little clearance, so it doesn’t really work well in winter. So, when the cold whether arrives, I cover it and store it in the garage. If it hadn’t been for the fact that the temperature has been unseasonably warm, the rain that has been falling for the last three days should have been snow.
The third stall of the garage has been holding the dining table and its chairs along with the matching sidebar. I have a great story about it, but am saving for another day this week. But once that is gone and I disassemble the ‘paint booth’ that I set up, the third stall will be mostly empty and James (my Mazda RX-8) can roll in.
So, The last couple of days, The Kid and I have been working on the re-assembling the pew. When a catholic church downtown shut down its school, I picked up a bunch of great pieces… including the parts to assemble a pew. Unfortunately, as we’ve been working on it, we’ve figured out that they are the pieces of the same pew and as such, they aren’t going back together easily. The funniest thing is that the ends and the seat/back were numbered… I think they did that when they took them apart. Unfortunately, when I sent The Kid down the second time to pick up the pieces we couldn’t fit the first time around, I made a last minute decision to get pew and neither he nor the gentleman there paid attention to numbers and we got mismatched pieces.
So, after some thought and some fumbling, I used a router to make the necessary adjustments to the channels where the back and the seat set into the sides. Today, The Kid worked on assembling the pieces together and adding some supports to make it really strong. I need to pick up some wood filler to finish off those areas where adjustments left some gaps, then I can get it primed and painted.
This is one of those projects I plan to keep. The current plan is to paint it my favorite shade of red and it will sit in my foyer. I imagine it won’t take long until it is covered with supplies for new projects, but I think it will be gorgeous and unique!
As you can see, this side of the garage is still filled with a bunch of projects we’re working doggedly on finishing. The name of the game this week is: “prime and paint”! Closely followed by “list and sell”! 🙂
I don’t ever expect the garage to ever be empty or stay very empty for long. Expected therapy and recovery is expected to be somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks with a complete recovery within six months. Then there is no stopping me!