Paisley and Felt, and Tomatoes on the Vine

Did it again. No matter how determined I am, I simply am unable to finish all previously started projects. Some just seem destined to be hanging around the edges waiting for the inspiration (or sheer boredom) to kick in and I can pick up these unfinished projects. Over in the quilt world, I know that unfinished quilt tops are called ‘UFO’s’ and I suppose that could be related to any creative project.

I can’t even really tell you why, but I have recently jumped on the paisley band wagon. I have always loved paisley, from its simplest form to some of those amazing fabrics you see in upholstery and clothing. I suppose that it has to do with my physical limitations – everyone knows that I’ve been given the okay to have both of my knees replaced – I like to have projects to do while I am applying cold or hot compresses in hopes of helping the swelling and the pain. Sometimes it is all I can do to get to the couch and once there, sometimes have it be almost impossible to stand again.

Okay, that was not a cry for pity. Seriously. I just wanted to explain why I have to have projects that can basically be done from the couch. This paisley project is just such a project.

So, off to the internet to find a paisley leaf (is that what you call it?) that was fairly complex but not too complex. I found this one:

Paisley Starting Point

The whole paisley towards the bottom is what I started with. I am planning on doing some embroidery and beading on this, so it can be too ornate, but I did want to include a lot of color. Here is how far I got last night:

DSCN3582The great thing is that I can add or take away any element I want (or don’t want). Right now, I am not sure I like the center paisley… but while I am beading and embroidering the many layers before I get to it, I have time. I see some of the circles are not very round… will fix those in the process too. When this is done, I am going to sew the whole thing onto a felt book cover. So, this gives me a lot of hand work to do while I am both waiting for surgery and during recovery.

Another thing that The Kid helped me finally get finished is the tomato “cages”. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what to call this thing, so I am going with ‘cages’, although it is so not a cage!

So, you may recall that a couple of weeks ago, I planted tomato seeds in a little starter kit. As they grew, I transferred them to food grade five gallon buckets and they went out on the back deck. They are growing like weeds! 🙂

So, I knew I was going to have to support the branches of the plants, but didn’t want to use the traditional tomato cage. Did you realize that those stupid things are like $6 at Home Depot!? No thank you.

photoHere was my sketched idea of how to support the plants. Well, finally, I made this happen. Now the super great thing is that this cost me nothing. Well, because I had the supplies on hand, I didn’t have to buy anything (that money was already spent a long time ago). It consists of two buckets, 10 gallons of small rock, two 2″x4″s, small “eyes” (the kind from ‘hooks and eyes’) and some rope or twine.

I wasn’t sure whether the twine would last the growing season, so I opted for the plastic rope. Time will tell if this works. So, just eyeballing it, I screwed the eyes into the 2″x4″s about 8 inches apart, repeated on the second board. Then holding them in the bucket, I filled it with small rock. Then I threaded the rope back and forth between the two boards, after I had set them on each end of the row of tomato buckets.

DSCN3576So, here’s the setup. I have already figured out that there needs to be something to keep the two boards even when it starts to get weighed down with tomato vines. Can you believe how big this plants have grown already?

I think I need to figure out better knots as well. Not wild about the neon yellow colored rope either. Whatever I do, its going to have to be done soon, at the rate these are growing. I sure am hoping that I get fruit!

If you look hard enough, you can see The Kid’s corn garden… those, too, are growing quite nicely.

DSCN3580 V2Okay… that concludes the updates today. Over the past couple of days, we picked up three new furniture pieces to work on. The ivory dresser sold, which just leaves the recently completed ‘suitcase dresser’. I guess The Kid is going to be doing most of the physical labor on these.

Okay, gotta go ice the knees!

julie

About MacCupcake

Obviously, a big Mac fan (my first Mac was the first Mac) and mother to the most awesome kid in the world. A techno-junkie and self-proclaimed geek... I love anything and everything relating to computers. Also love making things and figuring out how to make or adapt existing stuff into something new! Always ready to try something new!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: