So based on my post last night, the orange quilt I finished up wasn’t for my friends’ – Lucien and Jenn’s – second daughter, but for their first, Maxine. Who, according to emails we exchanged today, is six and a half. That has to be a record for late baby shower gifts, six and a half years! And, much to my chagrin, never even started a second quilt for their second angel, Eloise! Wow… I know things get busy, but I gotta do better!
But, I have filled you in on the unfinished pile, right? I’m estimating that there is something like a hundred more quilts just sitting and waiting. Waiting on money mostly. 😦
First up is this green nine patch set inside framing triangles. I have this thing with color families. It really helps to reduce the fabric stash – well, not really – but I will take what I can get. I love when I get this many shades of a single color, although in quantity, some of these color would be garish and definitely clash, but in small amounts it all works.
There were a couple of centers that differed from the norm. All of my sewing machines are also embroidery machines and when I brought home the first one, I embroidered every single design. There were a couple of quilts that had quite a bit of embroidery, some have but a little. These were obviously one of the first attempts at embroidery and they came out well. And I can never throw anything like that away. So, as I was working on this quilt, I trimmed out these two blocks and included them in this quilt. Just a little something extra: a pine tree…
…and a bow in green.And to switch the color, the final one is in red. Shades of red. It seems that red is the one color that doesn’t really range far… there is really two base shades of red; One with the underscore of blue and the other with underlying orange. If it gets too bright, its pink and it gets too dark it becomes maroon. But I think it is one of the most happy colors there is and I love it.
You see that this one is displayed on one of the two country rustic benches that I recently finished. Base construction is two twin head-boards and foot-boards, and the addition of a few boards and a seat, these benches were born. If you want to read more about it, you can read here.I tried a little different technique on the corners and while I like how the concept, I am not exactly thrilled with my execution. I definitely want to explore more options as to finishing techniques.
Most of my projects have been completed, although we have two of the antique victrola cabinets remaining and a small wood table. After that, I am going to have to start coming up with new ideas!
Ah, the weekend has arrived. Even with the fact that I am not actively working – a so called ‘9 to 5’ – the weekend holds different tasks and schedules. And it starts with sleeping in. LOL