A Picture’s Worth a Thousand Buttons

Well, maybe not actually a thousand, but quite a few. ūüôā

I was flipping through the pages of HomeTalk and Pinterest just catching up on what else is going on out there in the creative world. I ran across one post of three framed initials spelling JOY with buttons. And of course I wanted to link up with my  rendition of the same project. And after spending quite a bit of time flipping and searching through my blog, I realized that I never wrote about it.

So, here it is, about ten years late:

2014-12-21 20.55.57

My room was very nicely decorated when we first moved here Рin California my bedroom was a hodge podge  of denim and white and mismatched furniture. I wanted to have a truly put together room and it helped that with this move, I had the funds to decorate.

I had purchased my very first matching bedroom set Рsleigh bed and nightstands, a tall, 6 drawer dresser and entertainment center/armoire that was stylish and at the same time, impressive. I felt that a large room, one that size, needed to have appropriately large furniture. Not to fill the room, but to embrace it.

That said, there wasn’t a lot of wall space for art, so I knew what I did hang would have to punctuate the space and reflect me. I have two pieces, a large hand sculpted mirror in a heavy metal, much like a starburst. But the important piece was my initial: J.

The red fabric matches the accent material in the room, and the frame was picked up at a deep discount at Hobby Lobby. It apparently had been dropped in the store and so it was deeply discounted – since it had come apart after the glass was broken. It was a matter of just gluing and clamping to make it perfect, since I didn’t need the glass.

I found the letter in the font I liked and printed it out. It might be a little hard to judge the size of this pieces, but the height of the J, top to bottom, is 30 inches. It took a while to get the letter to the size I needed, ended up having to print it out on four sheets of paper and taping it together.

Then I carefully cut away the letter and then laid it onto the fabric using some tape to hold it in place. I started with the larger buttons and then worked progressively smaller until I was down to placing the tiny little buttons at the bottom curve of the J. Just good ol’ Elmer’s glue.

Then I squeezed the fabric into the frame and hung it. After ten years of hanging there, it still looks good.

julie

About MacCupcake

Obviously, a big Mac fan (my first Mac was the first Mac) and mother to the most awesome kid in the world. A techno-junkie and self-proclaimed geek... I love anything and everything relating to computers. Also love making things and figuring out how to make or adapt existing stuff into something new! Always ready to try something new!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: