Its been a lazy kind of weekend, it seems each time that I muster up enough energy to get started, I fizzle quickly. It was all I could do to work up enough energy to sort through the third stall of the garage. Trying to identify everything that could possibly be either discarded or thrown away. Then what was left was organized such that it is each piece is easily reached and I did a mental checklist of the projects left and their relative level of effort required to finish.
The project that is currently under way – has been under way for some time – is the kitchen table and chairs. I don’t know if you recall, but months ago, The Kid and I picked up some Corian countertops from the friendliest woman via Craigslist. She had gotten the counters from her dad (I think she said) and she had hoped to use them for an outdoor kitchen but her husband had put his foot down and wanted them gone from the backyard. Of course, I couldn’t resist, even though I didn’t have a particular project in mind. I love it when something happens that makes it worth the gas and time to pick it up.
One of the pieces of Corian that was included, was a squarish piece that had edges, it appears to have been used for an island. And it just so happened that I had been on the receiving end of an antique sewing machine and table. I wanted to use the base for something, I love the character that comes with things that were manufactured or built in the previous century. And the square base sat perfectly onto the frame.
To be complete, however, I had to have chairs to go along with it. And they had to be similar in style. After watching CraigsList for some time, even scouring the For Sale listings, I saw the ad in the FREE section. There were four of them, although two were broken and needed repair. But I thought that perhaps two chairs were enough given that it was a small table, perhaps to be used in a breakfast nook.
So far, I’ve been able to get the base of the table painted, as well as the chairs. To give the chairs a little more heft, I filled the tubular legs with sand. By using both broken chair, we were able to actually to get one good chair. So this table set with have three chairs.
I was nervous but The Kid helped out and used the circular saw to cut the patterns I drew. I took a piece of Corian scrap and worked it with the band saw and the belt sander and to my amazement, it did exactly what it should. It did take a little more time (and patience) but in the end the normal tools worked.
So, next up is to finish the chair seats and then attach them to the table. We also have most of the table assembled, we’re going to mount pieces of wood to the base and then bolt the base to the wood we’ve attached to the bottom of the table. This one is soon to be completed.
Okay, I’ve been writing while watching some old scary movies via Netflix and we’ve just started “House on Haunted Hill”, the original with Vincent Price, so I need to publish and turn my attention to The Kid and the movie.
Come back soon to see the completed work!