Been a few days since I last wrote, but lots being done to finish the doll house in time for delivery on Memorial Day.
Thought I’d show you the work that has been done on some of the accessories for the doll houses. The neat thing is that lots of what I am doing is being done in pairs, so what I mess up or learn from building the first one goes into the second one.
For my niece’s dollhouse, one floor will be a kitchen. It will come with a stove, refrigerator and sink/cabinet. I think this set is turned out really cute. The red set is for my niece, the turquoise one is for mine.
Here’s a shot of the completed set in red:
The pieces started out as simply boxes. The fridge has a shelf that separates the freezer from the ‘fridge part. And the range/oven/stove has a piece that stands up on top, but essentially they are both just boxes.
This one was originally going to be “stainless steel”, hence the silver paint. But this gives you an idea of what the basic box construction looks like.
Here are the stoves, again, basic box construction. They are lying on their sides, as I was gluing in the rods used for the drawer slides.
The front piece of the stove box was cut short (and the short piece attached to resemble the broiler drawer (doesn’t actually open) and then a window cut into the top section. Attached with hinges.
I stumbled onto using these fan covers for burners when I watched the Kid take apart one of his computers. Looks exactly like the burners on my real stove. I ordered them off eBay in two different sizes. They went on easily with a couple of screws.
I found some wire baskets in an upstairs closet that when I ran across them, the lightbulb went off… and the Kid used his new Dremel tool to cut them into size needed to fit into the ovens. The oven was painted with a black texture paint and I used the same dowels as the refrigerator to act as shelf guides.
I cut plexiglass into the correct sizes to fit into the door on the front and a little larger on the back (attached with screws). Used a small magnet for the door to help keep it closed.
Here are a few more finished pics:
Then the refrigerator, again was done in much the same way. The door is connected with hinges. I found the perfect photo of the inside of a ‘fridge door and increased the size and printed it out and glued to the inner side of the door. The doors are cut from a plastic dish drainer and spray painted silver. I found the small plastic box at a local store and I love that the rubber mat at its bottom match the outside color.
The outside decoration was made from polymer clay. I played around with several designs and decided that I liked this one best. The handle was just a lucky find, taken off an old dresser that I redecorated. They are perfect handles for my “mini-fridges”!
Here are a few shots of the refrigerator:
Work remains on the kitchen sink cabinet and will show that in another post. We are so close to completion of the doll house with a few minor details to complete and then it will be loaded up and delivered. If it weren’t for the fact that my niece is 300 miles away, I would have given it to her and then worked on the details in the meantime. But since I cannot just “pop over” and drop off things or touch up paint etc., it has to be all done before loading it up. Unless it is something that is being done to both dollhouses, I have pretty much stopped work on the resident doll house and will wait until this one has been safely delivered.
Well, thanks for dropping by and keep making cool stuff! And come back soon!