This is going to be fast, folks, as I have gotten so much done and there is still more still to finish. And start!
I dropped some hints to a few things I’ve been working on, and so I will fill in the details. To start, thanks to Craigslist free section, we picked up not one, but two matching dressers. The drawers were a little worse for wear, but nothing some support, glue and nails would make good as new. Or better!
My signature black and gray ombré paint treatment turned these run of the mill mi-70’s dressers into some real beauties:
I can see this in a room for a pair of brothers, even twins, where they like to have the same thing. These are very sturdy pieces and have a couple of deep drawers just right for a ton of boy’s clothes.
The next piece is, as I mentioned, a lucky find at Goodwill. They almost never have furniture, or if they do, it isn’t exactly the highest best quality. Even if it is good quality, then they have it priced ridiculously. A few months back, I saw this adorable child-sized vanity with mirror and bench and I thought it would a fun little project. I figured somewhere in the range of $40 to $50… they actually had it priced at $280! I wasn’t sure that I read the price wrong, that it was supposed to be $28.00, so I went to find someone who worked there and asked. She informed me – in no uncertain terms – that it was an antique and worth that. It might have been old (certainly not that old) but it was in pretty bad shape and was no where near worth being $280.
Anyway, as me and the Kid walked into this particular Goodwill, there it sat. And when I say it was in rough shape, that is putting it mildly. But through the bad stain and paint splashes and tape residue (someone had obviously taped the drawers shut a long time ago), I could see the bones. And it was priced at a wonderful $19.98! I started working on it almost as soon as we had it home and of course forgot to take the ‘before’ pictures. But as I was about half way through sanding through all the layers almost down to the original wood – had to just to remove the paint residue, I did take a couple of quick pics of the drawer fronts.
I had recovered some handles from another dresser and they were the perfect ones for this piece. And I love how they turned out. I placed them in a paper box (you know the kind you get from work when they empty out reams of paper for the copiers/printers) and gave it a solid coat of rich stain brown paint. Then, I sprayed gold paint all around the pieces, being inside the box it retained the paint and it layered ever so thinly over the brown. Loved how they turned out. Perfect. 🙂
So, with the coverage of the antique white semi-gloss paint (my second favorite color), it turned this into a work of art:
So, the third bay of my garage has turned back into quite the showroom. I have several pieces in the works, and am anxious to get them finished. I’ve also begun to design the entertainment center turned American Girl doll house… I think this appeals as much to me as it does to the little girl its being designed for!