A Dresser Transformation… from One Highboy to Two Smaller Dressers

Once again, Craigslist has not let me down. For a mere fifteen dollars, I bought a beautiful highboy dresser. Of course, I failed to take a picture of it’s “before” state, but I cruised Google and found an image that the piece was similar to:

The piece on the outside, looked beautiful as was it’s “bones”. But nearly all the drawers required repair, one drawer even needed it all replaced saved for the drawer front. The Kid was remarkable for his work in helping me repair it. He is getting rather accomplished in the workshop.

But I picked up the piece hoping to be able to be able to separate it into two pieces. Or at the very least, make it one smaller piece. It was, after all, almost five foot tall in its original form and that would just not work as a child’s dresser. So, one afternoon, ready to begin work, after first removing the screws, I took a mallet and gently tapped the top rim of the dresser and it came apart easily. Now the fun could begin.

The top piece, with three drawers, turned into the pink ombré dresser. I added the little round feet and after sanding and priming, I did my standard ombré magic. I spray painted four wooded knobs for the top drawer, and in matching spray paint color, I painted four handles for the bottom two drawers:

The handles were picked up at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore for a whopping dollar a piece. Painted, they look like a million bucks! Ha! I do like the looks and they have a high end look to them.

I also did the same thing for the lower half of the dresser. In black. Here is what I did with the lower half:

I like the way it turned out, too. It is kind of a bit short for a dresser, although it could still be used as one. It could also be the perfect piece to act as a gaming console or television console, the drawers could be used to hide the components or games or movies. You can see the same handles, this time in black. The top is cut from a table that the Kid and I picked up free off CL… that piece was snagged primarily for the base. It will be used in an upcoming project.

Okay, so you don’t have to scroll back up to the top, a before and after:

Okay, that’s about it for today. I have completed much in the last few days and today I’ve almost completed two more projects. After this, I am down to just two relatively big projects that remain unfinished (well, one unfinished and one yet to be started!).

Thanks for dropping by! And Happy Crafting Y’All!

About MacCupcake

Obviously, a big Mac fan (my first Mac was the first Mac) and mother to the most awesome kid in the world. A techno-junkie and self-proclaimed geek... I love anything and everything relating to computers. Addicted to collecting Pyrex! Also love making things and figuring out how to make or adapt existing stuff into something new! Always ready to try something new!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: