It has been a few days since my last post and thought I’d get something up here, just in case y’all think I’ve stopped writing. In fact, have been spending a lot of time and effort and money(!) remodeling the Kid’s room.
When we moved to the midwest about 8 years ago, I spent a lot of time decorating my son’s room. At the ripe old age of 8, he was big into the military and camouflage and we went all out with his room. Two weekends ago, we sorted, organized and cleared out most of the room. We had a garage sale (and he did most of the selling!) and put some things on eBay. Slowly, we’ve been collecting new pieces for the room, painting, building and planning.
So, I will start what will undoubtedly be a very lengthy series of posts detailing it all as I lead up to the big reveal with the “before” pictures”:
Even though I have only one son, the Kid is one to make friends easily and has tons of cousins and relatives, so a bunk bed seemed a natural. I liked the design, incorporating a desk on one end and storage on the other. We invested a decent amount in the bed and two mattresses, we figured he’d be using it for quite some time:
Here’s a shot from the door. He has a pretty decent sized room, although the smallest of the five bedrooms in the house. How does that work? 🙂 His room is almost directly above the master bedroom and I liked the idea of being that close to him.
The bottom bunk had a camouflage comforter (the top was black/tan) atop tan or green sheets. The Kid is also a numismatist, hence the “money” pillows. (A hint of the hand hooked rug I made him… more about that below.) Touches of things camo are everywhere in the room, some you can’t see from these photos. He had a little ‘frig (also painted camo) that provided him cold water. The trash can, filing baskets, and more all round out the camouflage theme.
On the opposite wall, I put up lots of shelves. From an early age, he accompanied me on “treasure hunts” – going to estate sales, garage sales and flea markets and prowling antique and thrift stores. He always found treasures. Some were real discoveries and ended up being pretty valuable, some only valuable to him. I tried to not discourage him, just help him keep organized and as clean as he could.
On the door was a hand painted plaque that read “Kid’s Army Base”. It actually doesn’t read “Kid’s”, but I am trying to protect his identity online as much as I can, so even though it does have his name, I am substituting it with “Kid”. 🙂
In one corner, he had a reading nook… I hadn’t gotten the reading light up in this photo. This gives you a good view of the two walls painted camouflage. I did this over the course of a week with three different cans of paint (the fourth color was the existing wall color) and one inch paint brushes. It was a real labor of love. You can see but a corner of the rug I hand hooked for his room too. I will try to get a better shot of it. It was done with thick wool yarn, cut into 4″ pieces and then hooked into a 5′ by 6′ rug canvas. It was nearly 50 skeins of yard – again done in the four colors that matched the wall colors. Considering that in most cases, the yarn was at least $5.99 (sometimes more), this was one expensive area rug. But it is extremely soft and absolutely beautiful in the room. I have thought about doing this again, but when I remember how raw my fingers had gotten and how long it took (not to mention the cost), I do a double take and think that it might be a while before I undertake this again. I may do a post hindsight as to how I approached the design and the nifty tool that was built so that I could cut my yarn from a skein, so that I didn’t have to compromise on the color or weight of the thread I wanted to use.
A photo taken towards his closet. I am lucky in that all of the bedrooms in my house have walk in closets, no sliding doors. The closet is large enough that I outfitted it with three 3-drawer units and he doesn’t have to have dressers in his room, and can have more fun stuff instead. Like this tall shelving unit that displays his collection of antique film and movie cameras (sparked by the inheritance of an old camera owned by his great grandfather).
In the back of the closet, is a secret hidden door. I know that will be a separate post! There is a space in the attic above my bedroom that would be perfect for a “boy cave”. I have planned that space for a long time, but there is so much involved, including framing of a floor, one wall and a ceiling. More about that later.
So, there are the ‘before’ shots. Right now his room consists of his bed (on the trundle frame), his chair and table covered with a paint cloth and my painting tools. The small wall with the window has been painted… the other three walls are getting a lighter color.
Much of the design has been done, a couple of the pieces have been bought and the start of construction is well under way. I’ll add bits and pieces as I go, there is so much to write and seems still so much to do!
Please ask questions or give me hint and tips if you’ve done something similar. I’d love to know about your shortcuts, tips and hints… if I don’t have to reinvent the wheel, I’d love to save the effort!
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting Y’All!