Doily Swag Lamp and Notebook Covers

Doily Lace Shade/Swag Lamp:

I am slowly wrapping up the original “To Get Done” list. This was item number 17. This took a while just simply in terms of collecting all the components.

I used a large 20″ diameter balloon to act as the mold. I actually used a balloon that was defined as a punching balloon, given that it was much stronger and would stay inflated during the process. It also provided a built in handle to hang the balloon from.

So, once I inflated the balloon and hung it from the dining room light fixture, I started with the initial doily. I cut out the center and then sewed it around a 3″ metal ring. This provided the opening for the light fixture to be added later.

I then soaked the doilies in fabric stiffener and carefully layered them so that they overlapped.

This can be messy, so wear plastic gloves and lay paper down to catch drippings. I did the top half of the balloon, let it dry overnight and then flipped it upside down and completed the bottom half. Again, I cut a larger doily and sewed it around a larger metal ring to act as the opening of the shade.

Since the doilies tended to get heavy when they were soaked, I used large bobby pins in some spots to hold them together. You have to be careful when doing this, as I ended up in a few places where the metal came in contact with the solution and left a little rust stain. If I did this in the future, I might use pins that had plastic coats to prevent the rust.

Once it had been fully completed, as an added measure of protection, I sprayed the entire thing with a couple of coats of clear vanish. This gave everything a nice even coat and stiffened up areas that were less dense.

Then it was just a matter of adding the light fixture and a swag chain (found the kit at Home Depot) and installed it in the guest bedroom. There were already some touches of lace, so it was a nice finishing touch.

Felt Notebook Covers:

This was a fun little project that just came to me. I have a number of these little 4 x 6 notebooks that needed some serious dressing up. I still have a fair amount of felt in almost every color left over from previous projects, so I cut out some covers and tried my hands at some impromptu decorations. The first cover ended up being just plain pink and was just way too boring to even include in the photos. 🙂

It was just a matter of a straight stitch around whatever objects places on the face and then a blanket stitch around the outside. I cut a slit down the inside center and slipped the covers nicely into it. I will probably make a few more of these in different styles and colors and just leave them for people. Maybe brighten someone’s day.

Thanks for dropping by and happy crafting y’all!

Colored Pencil Clock and Tea Cup Bird Feeders

Colored Pencil Clock

This was a fun little project born from a found clock mechanism. That coupled with the need for a clock in my sewing/craft room and a box of colored pencils resulted in this plan.

The only real challenge was finding something to use as a clock face that would allow me to connect the pencils. Wandering the aisles of Jo-Ann’s, the Kid actually made the discover of a small round wooden box with a lid. Having the box actually hides the clock mechanism. I was able to drill holes around the outside edge just below where the lid would rest. I marked it with blue painter’s tape and then drilled each hole using a pencil as a spacer.

I drilled the holes just slightly smaller than the diameter of the pencil which made them sit nice and snug without any gluing required. I am really happy with the way this turned out, I love the arrangement of the color graduations.

Upcycled Tea Cup/Bird Feeders

I had seen this idea in another blog, apologies to the blogger, I cannot remember who or where I saw it (or I would give you credit). I just remember liking the idea a lot.

When I was wandering the aisles at Jo-Ann’s, I noticed a great sale on the double curled stakes and invested in three.

Then I rummaged through my china collections and found six cup & saucer combinations. I had previously collected a bunch of cup & saucer sets when I was collecting my Grandmothers’ china sets. Beautiful patterns and colors that caught my eye.

The rest was easy, just laying the cups on their sides onto the saucers and gluing (using my trusty E-6000 glue).

Twenty four hours later and they were ready to plant in the yard. I put one on either side of my back yard and filled them with sunflower seeds. One set was reserved for the courtyard at work where I sometimes have lunch. I thought it would be fun to see the birds feeding.

So, that is a quick update. I have several more projects in the works that I hope to post soon.

Happy crafting y’all!

%d bloggers like this: