Denim blue rocker and an Undersea (Quilt Pattern) Bathroom

Just doing a little catch up on some former projects, one new; one not so new.

A little over three years ago, I bought a rocking chair from the Salvation Army for my Mom to use. She had a little garden patio and liked to sit out among the flowers in the spring and enjoy the summer evenings. Unfortunately, the wooden rocker took a lot of weather damage, down to the seat splitting. She was going to have it thrown away, so instead I brought it home. Gave it a lot of TLC.

Started by sanding it down, almost down to the original wood. Then, using wood glue, I clamped the seat together and let it dry for two days, then went over the glue joints with a fine grit sandpaper. Once this was done, I primed the whole thing with high gloss spray paint. To get every angle, it took several paint sessions. Once it was thoroughly primed, I let it ‘cure’ for a few days. Then I started with the deep blue high gloss spray paint. Once everything was thoroughly covered, I gave it a very light sanding with the finest grit sandpaper I could find. Then another coat of paint.

My home theatre is outfitted with a large sectional sofa and matching oversized love seat and three ottomans all upholstered in a soft, broken-in, well-worn denim fabric. Additionally, there are another half of a dozen floor pillows that I made using recycled denim (all very loved jeans). This rocker fits nicely into the decorating scheme. To top it all off, it is just a very comfortable chair to sit in.

The other project actually is a much older project, in fact, it is the Kid’s bathroom from our previous house in California. Originally, his bathroom – a full bath with a tub – had been decorated in a Winnie-The-Pooh theme, but as he was passed his eighth birthday, I realized that he was getting much too big for such a juvenile theme. I had been in the throes of some serious home remodeling at that point, actually have tried my hand at tiling and found that I was quite good at it. I was also at the height of my quilting frenzy and had come across a pattern that I thought would translate nicely into a tiling project.

I took it as a sign that I should proceed when I ran across a cast iron tub with the correct (and unusual) left hand return reduced to more than 90% off it’s original price! A $1000 tub for $75… now I say that is the remodeling gods speaking to me. And considering that the bathroom had been fitted with an acrylic tub/surround combination that I just despised, I knew that I had to demo this bathroom right down to the studs and start over.

I enhanced the quilt pattern to encompass the entire bath tub surround. And then decided to take it even further. I started collecting the necessary 4″ tiles in over 10 colors, no small feat. At the same time I started demolition on the existing room. Once the room had been demo’d, and the new tub installed, I moved onto the installation of the new tile surround. I rented a tile saw and took a few days off from work and set about to cutting all the tile and laying the pattern out on the floor of the garage. It was then a matter of transferring the tiles from there to bathroom. More than 1400 tiles.

I have a bunch more shots, for some reason many of them turned out looking much more purple as opposed to the blues that the tiles really were. The tiles nearly ran all the way around the bathroom, including the frame around the mounted mirror and the mirror that hides the two medicine cabinets. There is also a new floor tile, new smaller child-size toilet, new vanity and sink. Everything was customized for the Kid.

My design included a half glass partition to be installed on the left side of the tub to deflect water when the shower was running. The plan was to have a wave edge and etched with waves to keep with the “underwater” theme. Unfortunately, just as I was putting the final touches on the bathroom remodel, we opted to sell the house and move from California. And the house sold in three days after contacting a Realtor. One day before the house went on the market. We had to move quickly just to allow the Kid to use the tub once before we moved.

Once I get the other shots color adjusted, I will post those. I was very proud of this project and how well it turned out. And proud of the fact that I did most of the work. I hope the young family who bought our house (and their future children) love this bathroom just as much as I did.

Well, thanks for dropping by! Happy crafting y’all!

About MacCupcake

Obviously, a big Mac fan (my first Mac was the first Mac) and mother to the most awesome kid in the world. A techno-junkie and self-proclaimed geek... I love anything and everything relating to computers. Addicted to collecting Pyrex! Also love making things and figuring out how to make or adapt existing stuff into something new! Always ready to try something new!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: